Our Hinds Family -- From the "Beginning"
John Hinds ( -1706) was the first known ancestor of our Hinds family, although we hadn't learned about him yet when we first began our Hinds Brick Wall Project. In 1980 and again in the early 1990s, while other, earlier, Hinds family researchers were trying to learn more about who the Hinds people of Ireland were, William Graham of Dillagh, Ballinagh, County Cavan and the Very Reverend Robert C.H. Turkington, M.A., Dean of Killmore, Danesfort, Cavan, County Cavan provided them with some helpful background information. Much of what the Graham-Turkington information told the earlier family researchers is included here, intermixed with some of our own discoveries.
The Hinds family was a very old and genteel family in and around County Cavan in Ireland. The family resided at three locations: Tubberphelin, Abbeylara, County Longford, Corrakane, Ballinagh, County Cavan and Ballyconnell, County Cavan. They were all Church of England and were families of aristocratic origins. They were landlords, that is, they had tenants on their estates. They had considerable property at Toberlion-Duffin, where they lived with at least six tenant families on their lands. Hinds families were in the area at least as early as 1714, when Ralph Hinds of Corrakane ( -1752) was made a Freeman of Cavan (town), Cavan County, and they remained major land holders for more than 150 years, until 1853 when Ralph Hinds ( -1843), a great-grandson of the first Ralph Hinds of Corrakane, was forced to sell his lands as a result of his extravagant lifestyle. Previous researchers had separated the various Hinds families into three main groups. As our research progressed, however, it became clear that all three groups were very likely just different branches of the same Hinds family.
The Hinds Family of Corrakane
Our newly discovered research (2008) indicates that most of of the Hinds family members included within these pages appear to be from the Hinds family of Corrakane, Ballinagh, County Cavan. At least one family member in 1993 linked Ralph Hinds (1741-1794) of Mulhussey and Kimmis, County Meath to a son Walter Hinds (c1762-1804) who was a Barrister and who we now know was our "Missing Link" and then to his son Walter Hinds (c1798-1879) Barrister of Ballinagh. This son Walter Hinds owned Ballybrack House located beside the village of Ballinagh, County Cavan and members of his Hinds family, and likely Walter himself at least some of the time, lived there until 1880 when Walter Hinds, or his estate, sold it to George Graham who lived at Ballybrack House until 1911 when he sold the farm (100 acres) and a house to a Smith man. In 1993 the house was owned by a McKenna man who farmed it but didn't reside there. Ballybrack House was two-storied over a basement. It was still intact in 1993, but was covered with ivy. It is thought to have dated back to the early 17th century and was lived in up to the 1950s or 1960s. It was noted that a Walter Hinds was Deputy Registrar to Cavan County, a position which would have given him a lot of power. He and his family were said to have emigrated to England after they sold. Our research to date leads us to believe that the Walter Hinds who was Deputy Registrar and the Walter Hinds who owned Ballybrack House and whose sons immigrated to England in the 1880s was the same son referenced above and also known as Walter Thomas Hinds (c1798-1879). Walter, however, did not immigrate to England and the United States with his grown children, but remained in Ballinagh, and likely at Ballybrack, until his death in 1879. With each decision regarding identity, however, we experience some confusion between the two cousins, Walter Hinds Esq., son of Walter Hinds of Corrakane (c1762-1804) and Walter Hinds Esq., son of Walter Hinds of Bruce Hall (c1768-1805). They have been difficult to sort, and additional research is obviously needed. Both were born about the same time as eldest sons of fathers named Walter, and both were trained for the law. The Hinds family burial place is in an over-ground vault in the cemetery surrounding Ballintemple Parish Church, and unfortunately, the Ballintemple Parish records from 1700 to 1860 have been mislaid and are not available. It was believed by previous researchers that the Rev. George Hinds was from the Hinds family of Corrakane, although it is more likely he was another son of Walter Hinds of Bruce Hall (c1768-1805). George Hinds was Rector of Kildrumferton, sometimes called Kill Parish, around the 1830s. (Diocese of Kilmore). The Hinds family was also reported to have been closely connected to the Bell Booth Family and were inter-married. Some of this Bell Booth family, according to Robert Bell Booth from New Zealand, are in Canada and the USA.
The Hynds or Hinds family from Tuberphelin, Abbeylara, County Longford
This family owned extensive estates in County Cavan, also. Their estate in County Cavan was taken over by the Irish Land Commission, in the early days of its existence, between 1921 and 1930. (The Cavan Estate) The Tubberphelin, Abbeylara, County Longford estate was sold by auction in 1930 to a Mr. Brian Smyth, whose son, Dan Smyth, lived and farmed there in 1993. At that time, the residence was a real gentleman's place with a large walled-in yard with 30 or more horse boxes as this family raised only thoroughbred racing horses on their farms. No cattle were ever raised or kept. This family had to be very wealthy and much history is thought to be available about them. It is not yet known if this family is related in any way to the Hinds family of Corrakane.
The Hinds family of the Ballyconnell area of County Cavan
This Hinds family resided in Deramfield, County Cavan and is clearly descended from the Hinds family of Corrakane. Ralph Hinds ( -1843), the fourth son of Ralph Hinds (1741-1794) of Mulhussey and Kimmis, County Meath, inherited Mulhussey Castle when his father died in 1794. He married Catherine Kelly, who died at Mulhussey in 1817. Ralph Hinds (4th son) ( -1843) appears to have led a Country gentleman's life, which meant, in those days, hunting, racing, betting and general extravagance, in which he was encouraged by his brothers-in-law. He kept a pack of harriers, and hunted the neighboring country and so impoverished himself ultimately, that he lost all his property, except an annuity secured on the lands of Mulhussey. Ralph and Catherine had two daughters, Charlotte and Mary Anne, the latter of whom died at an early age. Ralph's County Cavan property was sold to the celebrated Henry Grattan. In Catherine Kelly's marriage settlement there was a clause charging on this property £1000 for each of the daughters. After the death of Mary Anne, this money was recovered by Charlotte, who inherited her sister's portion. The Court of Chauncery directed that property to be sold to pay her and she bought lands that had belonged to her father in the townlands of Toberlion and Meelick, situated near Killeshandra. Charlotte Hinds resided at Carne House, near Ballyconnell, three miles from Killeshandra until her murder in 1855.
Our Hinds Cousins
Until fairly recently, information about our Hinds family was researched and safe-guarded by different branches of descendants of the very earliest Hinds ancestor of Corrakane. For the most part, the researchers from one branch were unaware of research performed by another. When one branch found the 1700s wills of Walter Hinds (1703-1777) of Corrakane and Ralph Hinds (1741-1794) of Mulhussey years ago it helped them greatly with their project, but didn't know another branch was facing a serious brick wall with their Walter Hinds (c1798-1879) of the 1800s. With the "second" discovery of the wills, however, by more recent researchers, all that changed. We clearly had too many Walters! Neither Walter nor Hinds appeared to us to have been common names in County Cavan in the 1700s or early 1800s. So when we identified two Walter Hinds, one of the 1700s, and one of the 1800s, it just seemed unreasonable to ignore the possibility that these two Walters were very likely related.
The researching cousins found each other (we'll spare you the details) and, with joy, we've connected our Walters! However, just because the critical connection has been made does not mean our Hinds research is complete. There is a wealth more information concerning this family in the land records alone to keep us busy -- and happy -- for many more years!
And yes, the connection was finally made as the result of the combined efforts of our "new" cousins in England, Canada and the United States. We are very grateful for their invaluable contributions, including private family papers and photographs, their willingness to discuss and challenge our findings until we "got it right" and, most of all, for their untiring encouragement and spirit. We feel very fortunate to be a part of this delightful Hinds Family.